/> WHAT WILL BE . . .© Farming is Falling, Effecting Food and Family © Be-Think: A SALUTE TO THE FLAG, “MADE IN CHINA OR USA” ©

Monday, July 04, 2005

A SALUTE TO THE FLAG, “MADE IN CHINA OR USA” ©

This morning as I prepared my breakfast, I listened to a commercial, televised, news broadcast. As I cut the papaya, the announcer commented; she spoke of the all the flags we see as we are out and about on this Fourth of July holiday weekend. She then asked, “Where do all these flags come from?” I answered aloud, “China.” The program went to break; the story would follow the commercials. Scooping the tender middle from the fruit, my mind wandered.

I recalled the summer of 1992. George Herbert Walker Bush was running for President of the United States, as was Bill Clinton. Clinton was not my first choice. Tom Harkin of Iowa was. However, it was clear to me, Clinton would be the Democratic nominee. I believe Senator Harkin is far more progressive than Clinton, as am I, and I was troubled by the Clinton campaign. I read that the Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton was being courted by the Orange County Republicans; they actually hosted a breakfast for the nominee.

However, I digress. Regardless of who is running, I am a lover of history. I would not wish to miss a moment of it. If an event is close to my home and I can conveniently attend, I will plan to be there. In the summer of 1992, then Vice President George H. W. Bush was scheduled to speak at Mile Square Park. At the time, I lived only blocks away. I walked.

Please continue reading "A SALUTE TO THE FLAG, “MADE IN CHINA OR USA” © "